Volunteer Position - 5 to 8 hours per month
WHO WE ARE
The Lipstick Project serves men, women and children in Metro Vancouver who are facing significant health challenges by offering light, love and compassionate care through free, professional hair, nail and massage services.
Since 2013, The Lipstick Project has partnered with organizations across Metro Vancouver to provide creative care. Our small army of volunteers are professional estheticians, hair stylists, massage therapists and make-up artists who believe in the transformative power of what they do. Through their collective efforts, these volunteers have reached thousands of people in hospices, hospitals and care centres across our community. Our partners include Ronald McDonald House, Canuck Place, BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver Hospice, St John Hospice, North Shore Stroke Recovery Centre, North Shore Hospice, and more.
Behind this team of frontline volunteers is a volunteer leadership team that runs the governance, finance, communications and logistics for the organization.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a CPA/CFA with a passion for finance who wants to put your professional skills to work in your community through a new volunteer opportunity.
As The Lipstick Project’s Finance Manager you are the one who keeps all of our numbers in check and our money in the bank. Building off of a strong foundation of leadership, you will continue to set the financial policy and direction while also being an active participant in the organization’s overall strategy and long-term vision.
By having a keen eye for detail and a deep understanding of budgeting, forecasting, and fiscal responsibility, you ensure that we have a rock-solid financial foundation to stand on as we reach towards our growing goals and aspirations. You will lead all financial administration projects, business planning and analysis.
Your commitment to transparency ensures that we have financial reports of the highest caliber and are able to approach donors with the utmost confidence that we know how to manage money responsibly and to report back on dollars spent efficiently and accurately.
YOUR VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage cash flows and forecasting; direct all financial accounting including all bookkeeping of expenses, revenues and payroll
- Lead an annual budgeting process with the leadership team
- Prepare and file taxes for the organization annually
- To work with the leadership team to develop a strong system for recording any in-kind contributions
- Maintain financial record systems in accordance with accounting principles
- Partner with Executive Director (and other Directors) on operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to Executive Director based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials
- Prepare and communicate quarterly and annual financial statements to leadership team
- Build your leadership by participating in quarterly meetings (2 hrs/meeting) of the leadership team
- Get up close and personal with the difference you’re a part of making in the community by volunteering at two of TLP’s on-site special events per year (one in the summer and one in the winter)
- Celebrate with the team at our annual Christmas party and volunteer appreciation events
- Get to know our donor community who makes all this possible by participating in our annual thank-a-thon or donor appreciation activities
- Engage your community of friends, family and colleagues by joining our annual Scotiabank Charity Challenge team in the 5km or 21km walk/run every June
- Share your story and your thoughts on the TLP blog once during your first year of volunteering to help our community understand the leaders behind the organization
Sound like something you’re interested in? Great! Please send us a cover letter with your resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30th. Questions? Feel free to call Leigh at 604.910.4903.